After a little bit of reading up about him I’ve found out the following facts…
- He likes to travel by bus
- He has lived for more than 50 years with one functioning lung. He had the other removed as a young man because of infection
- He is the first non-European pope in the modern era
- In 2001 he washed and kissed the feet of Aids patients in a hospice
- Until now he has been living in a small flat, eschewing a formal bishop’s residence
- He told Argentinians not to travel to Rome to celebrate if he was appointed but to give their money to the poor instead
- Though conservative on church doctrine, he has criticised priests who refuse to baptise babies born to single mothers
- He claims that adoption by homosexuals is a form of discrimination against children but believes that condoms “can be permissible” to prevent infection…
…Hang on….what the hell was that last one?
He honestly believes gay adoption is tantamount to child abuse??????!
Where the hell do they find people like this? How can someone lead the Catholic Church into the future with an attitude like that?
I believe in God, and I’ve blogged about that belief in my Religious Ramble post, but this is madness.